Friday, December 23, 2005

mincepies vs piparkakku...

(Piparkakku is the ubiquitous Christmas biscuit here in Finland.) My first impressions of being back amongst the snow have been dominated by noticing the small, inconsequential differences between the counries. perhaps I'm so used to the big differences that they pass me by unmarked? However, it's the little things like the locks on toilet doors, or that in the UK bottles of Beck's get decorated with art (Tracy Emin, isn't it?) whereas here it's the cartons of milk that get the artwork...
Personally, there are huge changes. Here I'm indulging in lie-ins, reading a couple of books a day, and being fed! What a difference to Swansea! I suppose it's the fate of those who move around to be forever comparing places against each other. Not necessarily to rank the places, but even just to remind oneself where you are and who you are in this particular place...
Well, I'm enjoying the change of being here for now!

5 comments:

Jon said...

Let us know if you read any of the books you get through are good.

Jon said...

You can guess what i meant to say.

fools' cap said...

I'll keep you posted! At the moment I'm relaxing with the last three Harry Potter's, but I've got a lovely stack of books waiting in my room...

fools' cap said...

I've found an unusual companion book to Lesslie Newbigin's Foolishness to the Greeks: a book by Jostein Gaarder called Maya... I haven't finished either yet, but the discussion about purpose in both is intriguing. Gaarder does seem to have a thing for decks of cards though.

fools' cap said...

Jasper Fforde - a comic genius even if his books are consequently hard to describe... A literary detective Thursday Next rushes around saving the universe. When she can get childcare for her son Friday. Honestly it's a lot better than that... Mostly for the fun it pokes at literature and the references to it - an ample source for comedy if there ever was one!