Tuesday, May 01, 2007

iPod Yoga

I’ve always been fascinated but slightly intimidated by yoga and have yet to work up the courage to go to a “proper” lesson. I know of no good reason for my irrational fear of the situation, unless it is the lithe people that populate festivals and get up at 6 am for an hour long session after going to bed at 4 am and can bend and twist into forms I never knew humans could do and generally look as fit and healthy and as cool as anything. I am not one of those people.

Facing up to ones fears is generally touted as good practice, at least in all the ordinary-person-overcomes-adversity-to-save-the-hampster/world/girlfriend films, so trying out some yoga moves by myself seemed like a good idea and I downloaded a yoga podcast and set to it. One problem that quickly became apparent was the complexity of trying to look at the little monitor to see what the instructor was doing, making sure the earpieces didn’t come out so I could listen to the instructions, and actually carrying out the movement all at the same time. I’m glad nobody saw me do this! Nevertheless it was quite fun, and who knows, maybe one day I will venture into a class. In the meantime I’ll have to figure out a way of doing iPod yoga with leads and all…

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

Many years ago I had a Jane Fonda exercise LP record. It wasn't always easy to follow her instructions, either because I couldn't hear her properly through the music or because I just didn't know what she meant. Later I bought the book to go with it and discovered I'd been doing most things wrongly! But trying looking at pictures in a book, doing the exercises and keeping up with the record at the same time - similar to you with the ipod I imagine.