Sunday, December 30, 2007

Hugo Awards 2007

I'm hopelessly behind the times here and only just listened to the episode of StarShipSofa that revealed this year's Hugo Award winner (it aired in September...). StarShipSofa is one of my favourite podcasts. Two guys, Tony and Ciaran, talk about science fiction authors in a very amusing and informative manner. The passion really shines through and I have actually learned loads during my listening career. Anyhow, this year's winner for the novel prize is Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End.

I'm excited about that because I've actually read the said book - even before I knew it was nominated, or indeed had won. Admittedly, I haven't read the other books that were nominated, but I think Rainbows End is a fantastic book. The described interaction of technology and humans seems to be a distinct possibility given the pervasiveness of our current web-culture. It is refreshing to have technology that merely is, there, as now, it's still the humans who drive things forward in a good or bad manner according to the needs of the story.

I've always found the Hugo Award winners list a good starting point if I'm ever wondering about some new reading material. Obviously the choice is also limited by what's available in the local library, but if the author has been nominated or has won it's usually a pretty safe bet that at least it'll be readable. I have to admit that I was surprised to see Rainbows End in my local library. I dream of one day living next to a library with a decently stocked sci-fi section, but that day has yet to come.

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

If you'd like to keep up with the Hugos, they now have their own official web site, complete with RSS feed.

More general announcements about SF awards can be found at Science Fiction Awards Watch.

Liz Hinds said...

I never imagined you as a sci-fi reader, Maria!

I like your new-look blog. Very cool and simple.

What else was I going to say? Oh, yes, Phantom. I've never seen it, only listened to the cd. It seems very confused and determining good and evil must have been a challenge.

Hope 2008 is brilliant for you.

fools' cap said...

Oh yes, I started my reading career with Asimov and never looked back. Ursula K Le Guin is one of my all time favourite authors. I love sci-fi!!

fools' cap said...

Cheers Cheryl, not a bad idea!