Thursday, January 19, 2006

Being back, and all that

It's been a fortnight since my last post - one can definately tell I'm back in Swansea!! It's great though, and this past week has been so much fun meeting up with people and getting started with all things that belong to a Maria's Swansea life. (Apart from the work, of course, and being yelled at for not making thirty sandwiches per hour. However, I'm not going there...I'm grateful for being able to pay the rent.) Drumming, children and young people, buying a rat, being told I "speak ironic English with an accent"... And that beautiful word: etc.

And it is a new year too. Something is definately different, the air is thick with new plans. Mainly other people's, but I'm open to suggestions... Last summer I admitted to myself that I was up against a wall faithwise, and while I like that wall for it's familiarity and am slightly worried what is on the other side, I've also decided I can't stay there. Since then amasing things have happened. Interesting people have been put in my way, helpful books, new ideas and thoughts, and a whole exciting drive to make this faith mine in all areas of life. The recent death of somebody I know has also prompted a lot of reflection. Not in particularly morbid way, but I think I'd quite like to know what I am doing and why. "In Christ there is hope, peace and joy". That's what I'm aiming for. (And life is too short not to believe in fairies as I've often said...:) Besides, spring is coming! What is there not to be excited about!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any sandwiches made with Perfectly Normal Beast meat? You are obviously not liking it as much as Arthur Dent did. :)

I pray you find your way over/round/through the walls. Walls can provide much needed security and safety, but the wider world is needed as well. The image of sheep comes to mind with their need of a fold for the night but open spaces to feed in. Try reading Psalm 23, not thinking of cute little lambs, but of the steep hills and valleys which held the 'shadow of death' but also a shepherd who guides and keeps one safe.

ps. I'd like to hear more about the rat

Jon said...

Sounds like an exciting time. I have always found the image of Jim Carrey stepping up to open the door on the edge of his known universe in 'The Truman Show', particularly helpful. Does he retreat or dare to step out into the unknown.

fools' cap said...

I bet Arthur Dent didn't have an area manager breathing down his neck! Alas, sadly no perfectly normal beast...Just the usual bird, fish, pork, and cheese.

As to the rat - it wasn't for me but for a friend who's been nagging us for one for the last three years. Pester power works!! It was soooo cute, we were loathed to give it up actually. I've all the more reason to go round my friend's house now:)

I liked my wall though...as much as I was bored with it too.

Liz Hinds said...

I wrote a poemy sort of thing about a wall once that Tina illustrated. I don't know where the picture is now though. But it was a big hand breaking through to a small hand.