Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Highfalutin book clubs

I had to look that word up in the dictionary!!! And I don't think it can be taken as a compliment either... (however, in the process I did find another great word: sesquipedalian so it wasn't all to waste:) Its hard enough understanding Lesslie Newbigin without being insulted by the Linden newsletter... or trying not to be daunted by the fact I am the only female in a room of six intelligent men and a cute hampster.

Whinging aside, I really enjoyed it. It is a good book that we read, and the motivation of having somewhere to talk about it afterwards was useful. It meant I took more time to understand it and think about it too. Although there was so much in that book I think we could have easily spent more than one evening on it! I do prefer the option of bouncing ideas and thoughts off people as then hopefully my misunderstandings can get cleared and I do generally get new insights from people. That fantastic phrase "plausibility structures" is a real joy! And it is good to know that using one's brain isn't (always) a cardinal sin...

Can't wait for the next one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And all along I thought that Cardinal Sin was the former Catholic archbishop in the Philippines! (I think he died last year.)

I will be trying out the following litergy next Sunday. (Note the inclusion of "mind" as how we should love God)

Whom do we love?
The Lord our God.
How do we love him?
With all our heart,
soul,
strength and
mind.
Whom do we love?
Our neighbour.
How do we love him?
As ourself.

Jon said...

I enjoyed it too. I agree that we could have spent a number of evenings on the book, and bouncing ideas around the room is always fun. Looking forward to the next one, 'new kind of christian' is a brilliant book and i'm really looking forward to rereading it.

Liz Hinds said...

Highfalutin' wasn't meant to be insulting! It was more to show it as an intellectual club as opposed to our trashy book club. Not that the books we read are trashy, just not Christian.