Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Walking the streets

My bike is still with a friend so I've been doing a lot of walking of these streets of Swansea. After being in foreign lands I do appreciate not having to constantly keep an eye on a map and the bliss of knowing real shortcuts and which bus to jump on. Local knowledge is great once you've earned it!

It all looks so familiar though, and there are many times when I feel like I'm retracing my steps. It is very surreal to be back. I am absolutely loving seeing all my friends again and catching up with what is going on (and things sure can change in 3 months!!), but despite that I'm still feeling very restless...

BeyondTV started on Monday with a great turnout at the Dylan Thomas Centre and a great bunch of films! A trend continued firmly into Tuesday and I'm sure will throughout this week. This is Undercurrents at its best: finding inspirational and empowering films, showcasing it's own latest productions, and passing on the knowledge. Last night we had 6-8 shorts from first time film makers from a Womanist Video Workshop that ran for only six weeks; and the quality really was brilliant! I was sitting with the audience part enjoying the show and part trying to figure out how to start filming again:)

My friend Hamish has a fold-away solar panel that he's hooked up to batteries that run a video camera/a computer for editing and has spent his time on beaches in the Canaries editing his latest film. How much fun does that sound!! And what a great excuse to head for the sun... Hooray for studios that fit in your backpack is what I say! (And where can I get one myself...?)

No comments: