Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Egg Watch

Last Saturday I was at the Wetlands Centre and we've got some Indian Runner Duck egg's in an incubation chamber. Some of them were starting to hatch while I was there which was a little distracting in the process of running the weekend activities for children. I had to keep popping upstairs to see how the four ducklings were doing and coo over them... I learnt so much about eggs and the hatching process on Saturday. I've never seen anything being hatched before (being a city-girl most my life) and I found it so remarkable standing there watching them. I can't believe they can fit a duckling into an egg!!

The weather was freaky - hail followed by bright sunshine followed by rain followed by sunshine stc - but we still managed to orchestrate an egg race that involved families building a chariot to pull their egg along in. It was technically a children's activity, but the parents got involved straight away and seemed to enjoy themselves too.

The ducklings should be outside in a little run by next Saturday (which is when I'm next in) and the Ed team has got joint responsibility over them so we'll get to feed them and clean the pen. Can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you remember, but in Kathmandu zoo you saw a deer being born.

Apart from the fascinating spectacle, and the wonder of how soon the fawn was able to stand up, I was interested in the fact that a number of the other does clustered around like a tribe of midwives, to help with the process.

fools' cap said...

I can't believe I can't remember that! What a cool thing to have seen!!!