Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The End of Suburbia

I have just watched the documentary "The End of Suburbia". I thought I had seen this before as I was very aware of it when it came out in 2004, but I hadn't actually. It discusses the declining energy supplies in North America and what effect that might have. I believe this is doing the rounds and one of the oft-mentioned films when groups are looking at issues of declining oil and natural gas supplies and the concept of peak oil.

I can't say any of it was particularly new to me as I do have the advantage in moving in such circles where issues of these sorts are talked about and taken seriously. But I can see how it might be an effective wake-up call of sorts. Personally I was slightly less inspired.

I'm still committed to the concept of peak oil - but I think despite of this documentary rather than because of it. I, and others around me, are looking into the Transition Town model and reading Rob Hopkin's Transition Town Handbook. There are at least 30 copies spread out in the borough due to the work of the REN coordinator who is very enthusiastic about this idea. It looks at the twin problems of peak oil and climate change, and then proposes action in the form of encouraging local resilience and powering down our dependency on a substance about to get increasingly expensive. This is a massively inspiring take at community design done by a community and not forced on them. It is definately something I want to be a part of!

My main gripe with "The End of Suburbia" is that the only people interviewed are white men aged around 50. Fair enough, they've got something to say. But what about the rest of us who are going to be equally effected? Don't we get a chance to dream and vision a different future too?

This is the time for grassroots networking and getting the idea of Richmond becoming a Transition Town/Borough off the ground. The time to get groups grappling with the idea of what we would like to see happen - and then try to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you saw it!

I would say that the Transitional town model is one that would offer a lot of potential as it includes community building.

While I agree that peak oil is a major problem, I think that a lot of people involved in Peak Oil discussions tend to a very individualistic approach (ie one idea seems to be 'a cabin in the woods with enough ammo to keep every one else away'). Probably this has to do partly with people who have been working on the issue finding themselves in places where others around them have not been interested.

In addition to peak oil, and climate change, I think you need to add what seems to be a growing, worldwide food crisis.

They say it takes a village to raise a child, and we will need a village (or other community) to help us through all the major problems the world is facing.

'Isä'

Anonymous said...

Regarding all the old, white men in The End of Suburbia:

http://end-of-suburbia.livejournal.com/2065.html