Friday, May 19, 2006

Be Nice To Nettles

17th-28th of May is Be Nice To Nettles Week the Independent informs me. Fair enough, I agree that nettles are quite cool and you can do a lot of interesting things with them. It is a versatile plant: we've got nettle tea in the house, my friends have made some nettle soup recently from nettles they collected themselves, and if I could make a nettle cloth I'd be very happy!! At least we can be greatful that we don't have species of nettle on this island that could potentially kill us as they do in Java or Timor.

Do I want this job? I've filled in my side of the paperwork for a job with the Youth Service as a detached youth worker and in this period of waiting realise I feel rather ambigious about the job. Or perhaps that's not quite true. For the large part I think it's an amasing opportunity and would love to get it, but there are a few niggling doubts that keep cropping up. Whilst I know I'd be jumping up and down if it was offered to me there is a tiny voice that recognises that things might be easier if I didn't get it...

1a) The job is in Clydach - I was bowled over by the leafy beauty of the place, it felt absolutely gorgeous, and the new centre has so much potential in it for all kinds of exciting work. 1b) Clydach is about the furthest point away from Mumbles I could find while still being in Swansea. The commute is going to be an interesting challenge for a non-driver like myself. 2a) It's a part-time job with very flexible hours that they are willing to fit around me and were quite sympathetic to my existing schedule of events. 2b) Have I bitten off more than I can chew? I'm already committed to doing one part-time job which I'll have to learn as I go along (co-ordinating a summer cafe), do I really want to learn another job as well (...umm...yes...)?

That's just a little sample of some of the questions whizzing around my head. A bit of advice I received last Tuesday was to write down what I wished for and put it under my pillow. In theory I was well up for that - I just couldn't decide what it was I wished for...

No comments: