Sunday, April 29, 2007

¿Que van a tomar?

Thursday evening I did my first ever shift in a pub (called Britannia) and forayed into the world of pouring pints, selling crisps, and g&t's. Most of it was straight forward enough and I can only hope that it is a matter of practise in getting a "right head" on the beer rather than any ineptitude on my part. At one point of the evening I completely failed to open a bottle of wine and had to go to the manager to ask him to do it...but I have been asked to come back and do four shifts next week so I guess they don't think I'm utterly useless.

It is a relief to have some work to do. I am very glad to be able to sign off from the benefits and the horrible experience of having to go to a jobcentre every fortnight. I was looking for part-timework so that I can continue volunteering with Richmond Environment Network and I reckon I have more in common in selling beer than in selling dresses that cost £150, which seemed to be the other option! As it was, one of the first people I met runs a youth club and wanted my advice for running a playscheme in the summer and said there might be work in it for me too. I doubt I would've met her in a posh clothes shop.

I have no idea what to expect from this job in the long run, but for now I'm glad to be doing something. At any rate it can't be worse than working in that bakery so I think I'll survive!

No comments: