Wednesday, April 25, 2007

"We tune because we care"

Last Sunday my parents and I were invited to an impromtu concert in a garden in North London. We and some 13 others were entertained by Tim and Jared who took it in turnes to play the guitar and sing songs to us. The wine, nibbles, and - most importantly - the music kept us going for almost three hours and long past the sun had set. I am full of admiration for anyone who can help create that magical connection with music between everyone present. Though I do think somebody should come up with some more cheerful folk songs, you know, ones that aren't about death, loss, or piracy on the high seas. It was a brilliant evening and made me wish, once again, that I could play the guitar, feel confident about playing infront of others, and have the memory to have three hours worth of songs stored in my head.

I heard lots of new music that evening. I love the poignant lyrics and the poetry in them, which, afterall, is rather rare. Two of my favourites were Lies by Stan Roger and Tecumseh Valley by Towes Van Zandt. And of course, the last song which Tim introduced as a happy song (but with death and destruction in it)... I wouldn't describe it as a happy song myself, but it had hope in it. It was about an 11 year old Palestinian boy who was killed by the Israeli army and his father saying that the peace needs to start somewhere and it was going to start here with no one retaliating against the Israelis. Heart-breakingly sad. But with hope in it.

No comments: