Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Singing in St Paul's Cathedral

For the culmination of Holy Week I went to four services - four eucharist services - in under 24 hours (which has got to be a personal best!)... The last one I went to was a Taize Eucharist service in St Paul's Cathedral. Lotte and I went there as a response to a plea of help from the coordinators of the Iona-style Wee Sing in London, as they had been asked to do the music. So roughly 25 of us turned up, had a quick practise of the Taize chants and songs (literally going through everything once and rather quickly), and then we got to sing infront of the hundreds of people who had come to the service! I also made it more complicated myself by choosing to sing alto. I enjoy that, but I'm not an expert at sight reading music and we did not practise the alto parts at all and some of the songs we sung I had never come across either! I wasn't the only one in the same situation...

A classic case of glibly agreeing to something without really thinking the matter through.

However, the concentrated effort I put into sing my parts helped me forget to be nervous infront of the biggest crowd I've ever sung before, and I ended up enjoying the whole experience. The Catherdral is really beautiful and the acoustic made our improtu choir sound pretty good too. I'm even considering going along to the next Wee Sing - thankfully it's not any sort of a performance! Afterwards the presiding vicar, Laura, invited us to her flat for wine and nibbles so we got to have a look inside the Amen Courts too. Singing in St Paul's Cathedral on Easter Sunday has got to be one of the most improbable things I've done recently. Luckily I enjoyed it!

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

Singing in St Paul's on Easter sunday! That must rank with the most amazing things you'll ever do. I bet it sounded wondefrul in there too.

Hope you got to eat some chocolate as well ...